The best travel quotes can be powerful. Through quotes, we have been inspired to take chances, we’ve been inspired to travel, to take action, and to strive to live a better life.
From inspirational travel quotes to motivational quotes, we find that other people often say the words better than we can.
Dave and I have been gathering quotes about travel while traveling the world for the past 10 years and always like to reference them in our daily lives.
We thought it was time to round up all the traveling quotes we’ve posted on our travel blog, pinned to Pinterest, and shared on Twitter, Facebook and other social media together in one place.
Whether you enjoy short travel quotes or the longer ones we guarantee one of these will speak to your love for travel and life.
These travel quotes are all put into our favorite travel photos for you to enjoy.
ULTIMATE TRAVEL QUOTES COLLECTION
Updated for 2020!
Famous Travel Quotes
These are our favorite travel quotes that we feel have stood the test of time.
1. “The World is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.” ~ Saint Augustine
Travel has helped us to understand the meaning of life and it has helped us become better people. Each time we travel, we see the world with new eyes.
2. “Not all those who wander are lost” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
Throughout our lives, people have thought that because we keep traveling and searching for new things to do, we are not focused. They have often thought we are flaky or unfocused.
But travel helped us find our purpose and put focus into our lives. The more we got lost in our travels, the richer our lives became.
3. “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all” ~ Helen Keller
If Helen Keller can look at life as a great adventure, what excuse do the rest of us have?
Take a chance and live life to the fullest. When we are at our most daring is when we feel the most fulfillment.
4. “Take only memories, leave only footprints” ~ Chief Seattle
This quote rings so true for travelers. People often feel they can take home a trophy, or sneak a piece of stone from a historic site or take something from nature.
It isn’t about taking, it is about absorbing the beauty of the world.
5. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.” ~ Mark Twain
Travel opens our minds and heart and makes us better people.
6. ” The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” ~ Marcel Proust
7. “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” ~ Gustave Flaubert
Traveling quotes often mention the fact of how travel makes you humble and how life experiences are more important than accumulating things.
8. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do” ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr.
9. Never go on trips with anyone you do not love.” ~ Hemmingway
10. “Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen.” ~ Benjamin Disraeli
11. “Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
Before we started traveling in 2000, I only dreamed of writing for a living.
But after our travels, I was so moved by many of our experience I started writing stories to my friends and family.
Travel inspired me to become a storyteller.
Adventure Travel Quotes
12. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it’s lethal” ~ Paul Coelho
13. “Great things never came from comfort zones.” ~ Anonymous
14. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” ~ Maya Angelou
When looking for quotes on adventure travel, this one really stuck out by Maya Angelou.
It wasn’t until we started to live a life less ordinary that we understood how much control we had on our lives and just how amazing we could make it.
15. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey” ~ Babs Hoffman
This doesn’t only have to be designated as a quotation on travel alone.
Life itself has a lot of potholes.
So whether you are traveling or at home working at your job, you should definitely enjoy the journey.
16. “Fear is only temporary. Regrets last forever.”
Are you wanting to travel the world but afraid to take the next step? The quote above says it all.
Fear is only temporary, but if you don’t follow your dream, you may regret it forever.
17. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
This is one of my favorite quotes on adventure travel.
It’s scary to step out of your comfort zone, but if you do so with proper training and guidance, a whole new life will begin!
18. “Travel doesn’t become adventure until you leave yourself behind”
Well to me this quote means you have to leave your burdens, your stress, and your preconceived notions behind.
To understand travel, you must be open to new possibilities and it will change your life.
19. “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you. ~ David McCullough
This is one of those quotes about travel that has never rung truer than in today’s society.
Everyone is traveling to show off and brag or catch a selfie rather than to have an experience. But its the experience that you’ll remember, not the social share.
20. “Jobs fill your pocket but adventures fill your soul.” ~ Jamie Lyn Beatty
It’s true, we all have to do our job and have our careers and that is important. But it is also important to take time to smell the roses and let go of work when you are not in the office.
FUNNY TRAVEL QUOTES
21. “DON’T WORRY ABOUT THE WORLD ENDING TODAY, IT’S ALREADY TOMORROW IN AUSTRALIA.” ~ CHARLES M. SCHULZ
We all have worries every day and more than ever the state of the world is in question.
But travel makes you forget your troubles and Charles Schulz couldn’t have said it better.
22. “I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT THERE AIN’T NO SURER WAY TO FIND OUT WHETHER YOU LIKE PEOPLE OR HATE THEM THAN TO TRAVEL WITH THEM.” ~ MARK TWAIN
We have always given the advice that if you want to test to see if you are compatible in your relationship, go and travel together for a while.
Mark Twain could not be more correct. If you can travel with someone you’ll be friends for life!
23. “A JOURNEY IS LIKE MARRIAGE. THE CERTAIN WAY TO BE WRONG IS TO THINK YOU CONTROL IT.” ~ JOHN STEINBECK
When traveling, things are often out of our control and we have found that it is better to relax and let go. And that is true for our marriage as well.
We can’t always be in control and that is half the fun!
24. DRINK HEAVILY WITH LOCALS WHENEVER POSSIBLE ~ ANTHONY BOURDAIN
This is a rather funny travel quote by Anthony Bourdain, but it is also very true.
Some of our best travel experiences have been when having a few drinks with the locals.
25. I TOLD THE DOCTOR I BROKE MY LEG IN TWO PLACES. HE TOLD ME TO QUIT GOING TO THOSE PLACES ~ HENNY YOUNGMAN
This quote reminds me of my dad. He’s always telling silly jokes like this and I love it!
26. THERE IS NOTHING SAFER THAN FLYING, IT’S CRASHING THAT IS DANGEROUS ~ THEO COWAN
For those of you who are afraid to fly, I am afraid that you are not going to find the humour in this quote, but I find it quite cheeky.
27. I ALWAYS LIKE TO GO TO WASHINGTON D.C. IT GIVES ME A CHANCE TO VISIT MY MONEY. ~ BOB HOPE
This one made me chuckle because we were just in Ottawa (Canada’s National Capital) and we made a point of saying “Now we know where our taxes go, look at all the beautiful museums and buildings in this city!”
And even though Bob Hope was talking about his home country of the USA, it certainly rings true for anywhere.
28. JET LAG IS FOR AMATEURS ~ DICK CLARK
While I think it’s a funny quote, I tend to disagree with Dick Clark. It seems that the more I travel, the worse jet lag gets.
But then I suck it up and think of him and then say “Deal with it Deb, Jet Lag is for amateurs.”
29. “TRAVEL IS GLAMOROUS ONLY IN RETROSPECT.” ~ PAUL THEROUX
I love this quote so much because it is very true. When we come home from our travels, we always forget the tough times and difficult experiences.
We only remember the beautiful things about our travels and the bad stuff fades away.
30. I WISH I HAD NEVER GONE TRAVELING. SAID NO ONE EVER.
I don’t know who said this quote, but I do remember Hecktic Travels sharing it years ago on Twitter and it always stuck with me.
I think it is the best travel quote ever!
Inspirational Quotes About Travel
31. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ~Andre Gide
When in search of traveling quotes, I always look for something that has a deeper meaning.
When Dave and I first started our careers in travel, we kept one toe in our careers and one toe in travel.
It wasn’t until we finally let go of our safe life in the film industry and took a chance to go all into our new adventure travel careers that everything changed.
32. “It’s Better to Travel Well than to Arrive” ~ Buddha
33. “It is not the destination where you end up but the mishaps and memories you create along the way.” ~ Penelope Riley
We all make mistakes in life and travel. And it really is the mishaps and adventures you have along the road of life and travel that make for everlasting memories.
34. “The important thing is to never stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing” ~ Albert Einstein
35. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
Okay so maybe it isn’t exactly true because if you buy a house, it may grow in value and if you buy stocks, you may get lucky and hit the jackpot, but you can never go wrong with travel.
But travel brings riches in life with experiences, learning and making new friends.
36. “I would rather own a little and see the world than own the world and see a little of it.” ~ Alexander Sattler
Quotes about traveling often have a message of being free from possessions and things, and instead of having life experiences instead.
I don’t think there is another travel quote that says it better than this one.
37. “It is better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.”
When we saw the Taj Mahal for the first time, we had heard about it many times. We had read about it and people had told us all about it.
But it wasn’t until we saw it that we really understand its beauty and meaning.
38. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but having new eyes.” ~ Marcel Proust
Just because a person is well travelled, doesn’t mean they are open and wise.
You can travel to a hundred places checking off the bucket list. But to see with new eyes and to be open to new possibilities? That is the true meaning of travel.
39. “WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?” ~ ANONYMOUS
We have found that travel gives us the courage to try new things. When we are home in our routine, we become comfortable. But when we travel, we are inspired by others and inspired by the destination.
40. “SOMEDAY I’M GOING TO BE FREE AND I’M GOING TO TRAVEL THE WORLD”
Before we started traveling full time we felt trapped. When we started putting our minds to living a life of travel, we felt the barriers break and soon we were living our travel dream.
This quote is very close to our hearts.
41. “You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us and the world will be as one.” ~ John Lennon
Travel brings people together. It helps people understand other cultures and religions. What we think we know about other places is thrown out the window, once we land on their soil.
So go out and travel, meet other people and you’ll soon see that people around the world are just like you and me.
Short Travel Quotes
42. “Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets” ~ Oscar Wilde
If there is one of the quotes about travel that stands out, this is it.
For life and travel, we all must follow our path without making excuses and we should never live with regrets.
43. “We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.”
Many people think traveling quotes are all about people escaping and dreaming.
But to us, this quote captures exactly the essence of travel.
We never traveled to escape life, we always traveled to find ourselves.
44. “People don’t take trips, trips take people.”
We all take trips, but most of the time the trip ends up taking a life of its own.
This doesn’t have a deeper meaning it’s just a cute little travel quote we want to share.
45. “Don’t listen to what they say, go see” ~ Chinese Proverb
Perhaps people tell you not to go to a place because they think it is is awful when it is really beautiful.
Or perhaps someone constantly tells you how wonderful a destination is. Go and see for yourself and make up your own mind. That’s what this says to me.
46. Don’t Quit Your Day Dream
One of my favorite quotes about wanderlust.
One of the things Dave and I are most thankful for is the fact that we never stopped dreaming.
If we settled (like we were supposed to in life) we’d still be working at our jobs thinking we weren’t allowed to have dreams once we reached a certain age.
Never stop dreaming.
47. “I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m on my way”
Isn’t this just the dream? I love it when I take a trip and clearly do not have a plan.
That is when the real adventures have happened in our travels.
48. “Oh, the places you’ll go.” ~ Dr. Seuss
It’s a short quote, but oh it’s a good one. Whenever we meet someone that is starting to travel or is thinking of traveling, we always think of this quote.
49. “TRY TO BE A RAINBOW IN SOMEONE ELSE’S CLOUD” ~ MAYA ANGELOU
50. LIFE’S A JOURNEY, NOT A DESTINATION” ~AEROSMITH
51. “Where to next?”
And as the quote above says, “Where will you travel next? How will travel change you and how will you change the world?”
52. “TO TRAVEL IS TO LIVE” ~ HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSON
Why does this travel quote resonate so much with us? Before we traveled, we felt that we never truly lived.
The more we worked, the more exhausted and disconnected we felt.
When we introduced travel into our lives, we felt alive again.
53. “I WANT TO MAKE MEMORIES ALL OVER THE WORLD”
To us, memories mean more than things. When we are out with friends, we have so much to talk about.
It’s way more meaningful to have a memory to share than to show off a “thing.”
Meaningful Quotes – Words to Live By
54. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” ~ Mark Twain
Mark Twain is one of the greats when it comes to creating famous quotes about travel.
We have always tried to live a life less ordinary and think outside the box.
I do believe this has helped us have success in our business and our relationship. I keep this travel quote pinned to my wall.
55. “The world is changed by your example, not your opinion.” ~ Paul Coelho
I think in today’s society this couldn’t be truer. Many people are quick to attack others through social media and everyone has an opinion.
But what about “being the change.” Positive leadership can be powerful.
56. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” ~ Aldous Huxley
This is one of the great quotes about travel to other places.
We often have preconceived notions of what other countries are like.
Travel helps us to understand and learn about different cultures and ways of life.
57. “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” ~ Gandhi
Travel often opens our eyes to different ways of thinking and understanding the world.
We as travel bloggers love to preach what we have learned to the world, but we also need to live by example.
58. “There’s a sunrise and sunset every single day, and they’re absolutely free. Don’t miss so many of them.”
This is one of my favorite travel quotes because you don’t have to travel to enjoy a sunset.
59. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
I’ll never forget saying to Dave “I need meaning to my travels” when we first started traveling.
It was by creating this blog, creating our videos and creating our purpose to share our experience that I finally created myself.
60. “If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it.” ~ Johnathan Winters
This is certainly one of the best motivational quotes that have to do with travel.
I often hear of people complaining that they can never catch a break.
But you know what? You can’t wait for things to happen, you have to make them happen.
61. “Without new experiences, something inside us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.”
Travel can awaken the giant within. It did for us!
62. “Those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it.” ~ Rick Watson
Don’t get lost in the crowd. Be an individual. Think big and be brave.
Stand out and live life to the fullest.
The Joy of Travel
63. “Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness.”
It took us nearly 40 years to understand this motivational quote.
All my life, I worked hard and dreamed of what I might do one day when I retire.
Once I learned that doing what you love is happiness. We don’t have to dream about what might be one day.
64. “Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing.”
Do you ever just stop and take a breath and look around. I am amazed at the little things.
Too many of us wait until we are abroad to appreciate life and nature. Get out there now and start living today. From home!
65. “This heart of mine was made to travel this world”
Dave and I feel that our hearts were truly made to travel the world. Even when we worked in the film industry, we were always planning our next trip.
When it comes to travel the world quotes, this one best describes us.
66. “The Impulse to Travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life”
It’s true. Whenever we have an upcoming trip, we always feel hopeful.
67. “Let’s find some beautiful place to get lost”
Do you get lost when you travel? Or are you a planner.
Here, the anonymous traveler quotes an idea to go with the flow, just the way we like it.
68. “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met.” ~ John Green
69. “Travel…the best way to be lost and found at the same time.” ~Brenna Smith
71. “The journey is my home.”
Dave and I were on the road for seven solid years. We didn’t have a home.
People often said to us that they couldn’t imagine not having a home base, but we felt at home on the road.
We actually felt more at home on the road than being at home.
Unique Travelling Quotes
71. “It’s a big world out there, it would be a shame not to experience it.”
We got this traveling quote from our friend JD of EarthXplorer. Well said JD!
There is no better piece of advice. I wish my niece and nephews listened to me when I told them this.
72. “You can shake the sand from your shoes, but not from your soul.”
Whenever I read this quotation on travel, I always think of Dido.
Do you know that song? “I’ve still got sand in my shoes and I can’t shake the thought of you.”
73. “STOP BEING AFRAID OF WHAT COULD GO WRONG AND THINK OF WHAT COULD GO RIGHT.” ~ ANONYMOUS
Over the years we have had many people ask us, “how did we have the courage to do what we do.”
Truthfully, we never thought too much about what could go wrong. When we knew we wanted to cycle Africa or climb a mountain, we didn’t focus on what could go wrong, instead, we focused on the excitement and challenges ahead.
74. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.” ~ Hilaire Belloc
When we first started traveling, people thought we were running away from things. But in truth, we were finding ourselves.
We have never felt so fulfilled as when we do when we’re traveling.
75. “It doesn’t matter where you’re going, it’s who you have beside you.
We love traveling together and this is our favorite of all couple travel quotes.
While we admire solo travelers we are so grateful to having someone to share special moments together.
76. “Traveling is not something you’re good at. It’s something you do, like breathing.” ~ Gayle Foreman
People often say to us “Oh, you must be such great travelers!” and we say, It’s not about being good at something, it is about enjoying what you do.
If you enjoyed your travels and if you have a good time, you did a good job!
77. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ~ J.R.R. Tolkien
As we get older, we have developed a deeper appreciation of the time we have on earth.
After spending many years doing something we did NOT love, we realized that time goes by quickly and we have to make the most of our time.
Now that we have a passion for our careers and adventures, we understand even more how true this quote is.
78. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.”
Dave and I often get lost when traveling and it is usually the times that we take a wrong turn that we have our greatest adventures.
Getting lost is part of the fun of travel, so don’t over plan too much when planning your travels.
79. “Traveling allows you to become so many different versions of yourself.”
When we started traveling we discovered so many new things about ourselves and each other.
By stepping out of our comfort zone and trying new things, travel helped us become better people and this quote is definitely true for us.
80. “Travel has a way of stretching the mind.” ~ Ralph Crawshaw
Travel expands the mind and without having to study or read books or take a course. We learn and grow without even trying.
81. “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.” ~ Anotole France
82. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
How many times have you gone traveling and think that you have it all planned out. But it’s the surprises and secret destinations along the way that really stick with you the rest of your life.
83. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.” ~ Tim Cayhill
People really do make the journey. We may only meet someone for a fleeting moment, but they often stay in our memories forever.
84. “Just Go. Go See all the Beauty in the World”
Each day we are grateful that we get to live in this beautiful world.
Not only is the earth’s scenery awe-inspiring, but there is a beauty in the people, culture and wildlife that we have experienced.
Travel Quotes by Famous People
85. “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel’s sake.” ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
We just love to travel. It doesn’t matter where.
No matter where we go, we always learn something new.
86. “If you’re twenty-two, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel – as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them — wherever you go.” ~ Anthony Bourdain
87. “Because In The End, You Won’t Remember The Time You Spent Working In An Office Or Mowing Your Lawn. Climb That Damn Mountain.” ~ Jack Kerouak
We have our tasks and chores to do each day, but it is the unique challenges that come with an adventure that we will remember at the end of our lives.
I want to be able to say “I climbed the mountain and I lived well.”
88. Paris is Always a Good Idea ~ Audrey Hepburn
89. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” ~Mae West
Ah, Mae West. I can just hear her saying this quote in that fabulous accent.
Sometimes travel quotes can simply be about pure joy.
90. The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams ~ Oprah Winfrey
91. “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” ~ Maya Angelou
92. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference” ~ Robert Frost
93. “We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel next, to find ourselves.” ~ Pico Iyer
94. “Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.” ~ Dalai Lama
95. Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
96. “The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
97. “There is no moment of delight in any pilgrimage like the beginning of it” ~ Charles Dudley Warner
My favorite part of traveling is the anticipation. This quote captures that perfectly.
98. “The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.” – Wallace Stevens
99. “Keep your face always toward the sunshine – and shadows will fall behind you.” ~ Walt Whitman
I have found that travel has helped me become an optimist.
The more experiences I have, the more positive my life becomes.
100. “Try to be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud” ~ Maya Angelou
101. You go away for a long time and return a different person – you never come all the way back ~ Paul Theroux
When we took our first travels in 2000, we felt a huge change in ourselves.
Our lives were never the same. We never came all the way back, we have left a piece of ourselves around the world and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Traveling Quotes, Quick Reference
We’ve got you covered with this collection of the funniest travel quotes we’ve heard.
We have made a collection of the most famous travel quotes in history. Check them out here.
We have 100 of the best travel quotes ever paired together with photos right here.
Traveling quotes have inspired us in both our lives and our travels and these are our favorites.
What are your favorite travel quotes? Share it in the comments below.
All images belong to ThePlanetD and are from our travels around the world to seven continents and 105 countries.
our 27 Best Travel Tips for 10 Years of Full-Time Travel
How to Live an Unconventional Life
Inspirational People We’ve met in our Travels
21 Best Travel Books to Inspire Travel
You Might Also Enjoy
Source link Travel Advisor